Something special happened this evening.
After dinner, Kristan and I were sitting on our back patio. It had been a long day and I was actually falling asleep on the couch when Kristan broke the silence…
(I sit up) “Huh?”
“Um…I actually don’t have anything to say. I just wanted to talk to you”
“I think that’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever said”
TOP 10 REASONS I LOVE MY WIFE
10. We have two amazing kids and it didn’t happen by accident. Kristan’s an amazing mother & all you new mothers should be paying attention. She will never act like she is some “Super-Mom” who never gets frustrated or impatient, but that’s exactly why she is so great! Kristan is vulnerable and honest with others about the parenting journey and new parents need to hear that. There is tremendous pressure to have your life so together and it’s just not realistic. Sometimes kids get under your skin. Sometimes you give them too much lee-way and they take advantage. Sometimes you let them have a little too much screen time because you want a few more minutes of peace and quiet. That’s parenting. Kristan is incredible with our boys. Not only do I know it, but they know it.
9. She’s so freaking competitive. People have made fun of me for being competitive, but at most I am the 3rd most competitive person in our family. I love that. It’s driving Kristan insane that I have run more miles than her this year. INSANE! She will catch me by the end of the year but I’m enjoying it for now. Also, I love that she destroyed Nolan and Asher in Monopoly and made Asher cry!
8. Grace. I’m not great with grace. Kristan keeps me tuned in to God’s heart when it comes to other people’s failings.
7. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 projects she is currently working on (or wanting to work on). “Making things better” is who Kristan is. Everything she comes in contact with – friends, ministries, ideas…me – is better after Kristan touches it.
6. The way she looks at me.
5. Two weeks ago Kristan was off work on a weekday. I missed an opportunity to see Captain America: Civil War with a friend the day before so she suggested that we go see a matinee showing. We like to arrive early to the theatre and talk before the previews. After sitting there for 30 minutes she finally leans over and says, “I never saw any of the Captain America movies or the second Avengers” Kristan organized a date to go see a movie which, to enjoy it, you had to have seen the previous installments of the franchise. She did that for me! She always does stuff like that.
4. There is a running joke that Asher goes to the ER every October (3 years running). Typically, he’s the one getting hurt. A couple of months ago, however, Nolan broke his leg. Now, in a crisis I’m pretty good at keeping my cool and not freaking out (at least visibly). I was able to carry Nolan home, get him comfortable, and make him laugh to get his mind off the pain. However, when it comes to the ER, Kristan is ALWAYS the one who takes the hurt child while I hang out at home with the other. It’s never even a discussion. She knows that once I get to the hospital I would come down from “crisis” mode and get extremely frustrated and impatient. Kristan, on the other hand, is the epitome of patience.
3. A couple of years ago we were in Riviera Maya and I wanted some Tacos al Pastor. It was important to me and Kristan knew it. Unfortunately, I am a notoriously bad navigator and I get very frustrated when I’m lost (I’d be terrible on The Amazing Race). Between the heat and all the walking we had done around Playa Del Carmen that day I was ready to just call it quits…which I really would have regretted. Kristan took control and suddenly her Spanish was back to full fluency. She commandeered a taxi and got us in minutes to a hole in the wall, yet famous for it’s tacos, little restaurant.
2. She’s gorgeous.
1. Kristan and I have identical toothbrushes. The only difference is mine has a TINY square on the handle and hers has a TINY triangle. I love my wife, but I would never never never never never share a toothbrush with her. That’s weird. I know, we kiss…what’s the difference – I don’t know. There’s a difference. Anyway, Kristan knows I’m far too lazy to always check for the square. She doesn’t think I notice this, but I notice – My toothbrush is ALWAYS placed closer to the sink and hers is always in the back where it’s a little harder to reach. Always. If you don’t know why this is the #1 reason I love my wife you don’t understand the unexplainable joy of having someone who puts even your smallest, most inconsequential needs ahead of their needs.
We were watching Community but she said she needed a 3 minute nap break. Little things like that make up the infinite list of “Honorable Mentions” of reasons I love my wife.
Time to try to wake her up so we can finish this episode.